Benjamin L Garcia
- @BenGarciaSOPTV (Twitter)
- Benjamin Lucas Garcia (Facebook)
- benjaminlucagarcia (Skype)
I have returned to Oregon and resettled in Talent where I grew up. I am looking forward to hopefully a long term career with local PBS affiliate SOPTV. I am not currently in the process of exploring other areas of employment. My current goal is to expand my understanding of public media, as it relates to education, and to evolve my skill set as much as possible.
Portland State University 2012
- Master’s Degree in Education: English Literature Instruction and ELL/ESL Focus.
Portland State University 2009
- Bachelors of Arts in English: Minor in Writing.
Portland Community College 2006
- Associates of Arts: Creative Writing Emphasis.
SOPTV Teacher Ambassador, PBS Teacher Community Program 2016-Current
- Southern Oregon Public Television (Medford, Oregon)
- Served as the bridge between public media and local teachers via PD workshops, Summits, Edcamps, etc.
Middle and High School Language Arts Instructor 2014-2016
- The American School of Torreon (Torreon, Mexico)
- Taught English Literature, grammar, writing and ESL. (7th and 9th grades)
English Language (ESL) College Professor 2012-2013 School Year
- Universidad Autónoma de Aguascalientes (Aguascalientes, Mexico)
- Taught remedial English via the TESOL method.
Advanced ESL Middle School Teacher 2012-2013 School Year
- Colegio de Wharton (Aguascalientes, Mexico)
- Taught conversational English via TEFOL method.
High School Language Arts Student Teacher 2011-2012 School Year
- Portland State University via Portland Public Schools (Portland, USA)
- Observed, Co-Taught, and Taught English at the Young Women’s Academy
Tutor for AVID (college prep program) 2010-2011 School Year
- Portland Public Schools (Portland, Oregon)
- Tutored students in Math, Writing and Sciences.
- Project management
- Communications, PR and community outreach
- Planning and instruction of education professional development workshops
- Content production and publishing (lesson plans, videos, study guides, etc.)
- Basic operation of a camera (photo & video)
- Event planning for regional conferences and Edcamps
- Fluent in Spanish. (I am a native English speaker who was brought up in a bilingual household). I also lived in Mexico for four years.
- Adept at planning and as a teacher learned (UBD) and SIOP models.
- Good understanding of educational theory from Bloom to Vygotsky.
- Familiar with IB, TEFOL, TESOL curriculum and design.
- Capable with technology i.e. building social media pages, wiki’s, blogs, and basic websites.
- Tutored/Volunteered: www.benjaminlucasgarcia.com/extracurricularactivity.htm
- Comfortable traveling for work, hence having lived/worked in Mexico for four years.